Right after creating a project, you break down your plan into workable entities called Tasks. These tasks are assigned to the users in your project and it is accomplished within a defined period of time. You can copy a task, set duration, priority, reminders, set recurring frequency etc. And, when you complete a task it's easy to mark it as complete and store it in the closed tasks. After completing a task, you may want to edit it, if so you can do it by reopening the task again. Take a quick glance on how you can work with tasks.
- Add a task
- Edit or delete a task
- Type of tasks view
- Task custom view
- Customize task columns
- Import tasks
- Sort tasks
- View task details
- Click Projects, select the required project and then click Tasks.
- Click Add Task in the upper-right corner.
- Enter the task details and then click Save to add a new task.
While adding new tasks, you can now, attach and share screenshots of any web page or screen related to the task using the screen-grabber option. Click found in the right end of Drop files or add attachments here, and paste or attach the required image, and then click Done to upload the screenshot. An inbuilt draw tool lets you highlight what is important and blackout what you don’t want in the screenshot.
- In Task List choose a task list from the Internal option if you want to display the task only to your portal users. However, if you want to collaborate and display the task with client users, you must associate a task list from the External option.
- You can also add tasks using the Add Task link. In addition, you can create tasks right within the Home page. To do this, click View More in My Tasks.
- To set duration for a task instead of End Date, click Enter Duration and enter the number of days in Duration.
- If the Start Date of the recurring task occurs on a holiday or a weekend, the previous working day is automatically set as the Start Date. This option is enabled only if the Recurring frequency of the task is set to Monthly or Yearly.
In the selected project, click open the required task in Tasks to edit. You can edit the task in Classic, Plain and Kanban view. You can modify task details such as task comments, description, subtasks, log hours, documents, forums, and so on. While editing the comments, if you want to attach files or screenshots of any web page, just click screen grab in Drop files or add attachments here and paste the required image, then click Done to upload the screenshot. It's an inbuilt draw tool lets you highlight what is important and blackout what you don’t want in the screenshot.
- While you edit, you can also navigate to the next task or task lists.
Likewise, you can also delete a task. Select the task and click in the upper-right corner. This deletes the tasks along with the associated timesheet entries and delinks the set dependencies (if any).
Zoho Projects supports 4 different type of task view: Classic, Plain, Kanban, and Dependency.
|Classic||Default view for task lists and tasks. You can customize your columns in the classic view.|
|Plain||This view is sorted based on due date. It displays all tasks and its dependencies with the task level.|
|Kanban||Kanban cards are an easy, dynamic way to create and visualize your workflows. Task lists and tasks are visually arranged, so every team member knows the tasks and subtasks in every task list.|
In this view you can see those tasks that are dependent on other tasks. The predecessor tasks and successor tasks are displayed in an order.
Task custom view is an option to customize and filter your tasks based on specific criteria. For example, if Helen is assigned to the design department, she can customize her view so that she will see all of the tasks specific to the design department.
Here is a quick run-down on how to create a custom view.
- Click on more views and select Create Custom View.
- Select the criteria for your view.
- Click to add more than one criteria and click to delete the criteria.
- Operators can be used individually or in combination in order to set multiple criteria. There are two types of operators:
- AND is used when it is mandatory to satisfy all the criteria.
- OR is used to satisfy an either-or condition.
- If there are any changes in criteria pattern, click Edit Pattern and Update changes.
- Enter the Custom view name, Description and select Accessibility.
- Click Save.
You can edit or delete your custom view anytime you need. Just hover over your custom view to view the Edit and Delete options.
Save filter as custom view
Filter criteria can either be saved to an existing custom view or as a new custom view.
- Click .
- Choose the required filter options and select Find.
- Click Save Results To, and choose either New Custom View or Existing Custom View.
Favorite your view
Favorite views display the list of all your favorite custom and predefined views. Hover over a custom or predefined view to enable it, then click to add that view to your favorites. You can click again to remove the view from favorites.
- You can set a maximum of 20 criteria in a custom view.
- Generate Custom View based reports in the Reports & charts section.
- The accessibility options are available only to the portal owner, admin, and manager.
- Custom Views cannot be set in project templates.
Customize task views by enabling or disabling columns.
- Navigate to task view (Classic or Plain).
- Click to customize columns.
- Enable or disable the columns using the selector.
You can now import XLS/JSON/CSV files into Zoho Projects and start collaborating.
- Select a project in Projects and choose the Task module.
- In Classic View, click in the upper-right corner and then choose Import Task.
- Click Choose File and then select the desired file to import.
- Click Import to import the file.
- Associate the imported file with their corresponding task fields and then click Continue. To note, when you import the work hours of a user along with their respective task information, ensure to use the following keys while importing.
Key to be used while importing XLS Mapped criteria hrs/day Work hours per Day %/day Work % per Day hrs Total Work Hours
- A warning message about applying default values to mismatched fields is displayed.
- Choose the required option in Import XLS Wizard to schedule the import.
- All the task list available in the imported file are listed in the Classic View.
- If you map the TASK OWNER to the corresponding xls field, and continue to import, the Import XLS File wizard is displayed. In this wizard, you can choose to leave the tasks unassigned or associate the xls users to project users.
While importing, if you map only the TASK LIST ID, the corresponding task list alone is imported, even if there are identical task list names. However, if you map the TASK LIST NAME, all the available task list with the given task list name are imported irrespective of their task list ID.
|TASKLIST ID||TASKLIST NAME||Mapped Field Name||Imported Tasklist|
|1234||Edit Template||Tasklist ID||Edit Template -1234|
|5678||Edit Template||Tasklist Name||Edit Template-1234 and Edit Template-5678|
Sorting tasks helps you to focus on specific information for any desired column in project management. In Classic View, you can sort tasks. Click and then select the desired column criteria to sort tasks based on its Priority, Start Date, End Date, Created by and % Completed.
- Select the required task list and click Reorder in the bottom. Then, click in the upper-right corner. Now, sort the tasks based on the columns and click Save Order to retain the changes even after you refresh the page.
- You can sort only parent / main tasks.
- Click Projects in the top navigation bar.
- Select your project from the list.
- Click Tasks in the left panel.
- Click a task for which you would like to view the details.
- Create an online meeting for your task if required. Click here to learn more about our Meeting Integration.
- Click the cross icon to close the details view.
- You will be able to modify the field values right from the details view.
- Hover over a field to update its value .